There are thousands of different materials used in dentistry. Some have been proven safe and bio-compatible. Others are allowed by law because they have not been proven to be hazardous. The distinction may sound like a technicality, until you consider the potential repercussions of having a toxic material in your mouth.
Dental amalgam is a highly controversial material. You may know this material as “silver fillings,” but it is actually made from a blend of metals, about half mercury. There is no dispute about the dangers of mercury itself. It is the second deadliest element on Earth, surpassed only by plutonium. However, it is proposed to be stable when blended with the other elements in amalgam.
Extensive research and scientific studies of the risks associated with amalgam have returned mixed results. Some, which are frequently referenced by regulatory agencies, have concluded that the amount of mercury a dental patient is exposed to falls within acceptable levels. However, other researchers have arrived at very different conclusions, particularly when they factor in the vapor that is released when chewing. There is no universally accepted proof that amalgam is harmful in any way. However, it is very unnecessary with the vast array of alternative materials available today.
As a holistic dentist, Dr. France Chevalier is keenly aware of the affects that dental materials
and techniques have on your entire body and overall well-being. For a material to meet her standards it must be proven safe, and be something that she personally feels good about using. While amalgam is perfectly legal, and professed to be safe by many dentists, we in our office do not use mercury filing.
The terms mercury free and mercury safe
are often confused, but they have different meanings. As the name implies, a mercury free dentist such as Dr. Chevalier does not use any product or material that contains mercury. Dr. Chevalier is also a mercury safe dentist, which means that she is properly trained in removing amalgam dental restorations.
The traditional method of removing a filling is essentially drilling it out. The greatest risk of mercury exposure comes from vapors. When amalgam is exposed to friction, even at very low levels, it emits mercury vapor. Therefore, removing a filling can expose the patient (and dental staff) to exceedingly high levels of mercury vapor, as well as particles that can fall in the mouth and enter the lungs.
Mercury safe dentists follow strict protocols set forth by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology to remove old dental amalgam without endangering the dentist or the patient. The air is filtered for particulate matter, and a dental dam is used to prevent any debris from entering the patient’s mouth. The filling is also removed differently, in large pieces with minimal cutting, drilling, or manipulation of the amalgam.
If you are looking for a skilled, holistic dentist
who has your best interest at heart, call +1 (613) 233-1118
and schedule an appointment with Dr. Chevalier today.
- Mercury Free Treatment in Ottawa - Benefits of mercury free treatment in Ottawa
- Orthodontist Ottawa ON - Patients of dentist in Ottawa, ON do not need to seek an orthodontist for Invisalign treatment
- Biological Dentist Ottawa - Patients seek a dentist in Ottawa who practices biological dentistry
- Dental Office Gloucester - Patients in Gloucester visit Ottawa dental office for various reasons
- Preventative Dentistry Ottawa - Dentist in Ottawa explains importance of preventative dentistry
- Amalgam Free Dentist Ottawa - Patients in Ottawa seek dentist for amalgam free dental procedures
- Mercury Free Dentist Gloucester - The benefits of visiting a mercury free dentist in the Gloucester area
- Dental Amalgam Removal Ottawa - Why Ottawa area patients should consider dental silver amalgam filling removal
- Mercury Safe Dentist in Ottawa - Benefits of a mercury safe dentist in Ottawa
- What is Dental Amalgam? - Ottawa patients ask, "What is dental amalgam?"
- Holistic Dentist Ottawa, ON - Understanding the ultimate care that you will receive from a holistic dentist in Ottawa
- Mercury Free Dentist Ottawa - Why is it important to work with a mercury free dentist in Ottawa?
- What is Dental Amalgam Ottawa - Ottawa dentist explains, what is dental amalgam?
- Mercury Safe Practices Ottawa - What mercury safe practices are followed by Dr. Chevalier in Ottawa?
- Amalgam Safe Dentistry Ottawa - What protocols are followed by amalgam safe dentistry practices in Ottawa?
- What is Dental Amalgam Ottawa - Ottawa area patients ask their dentist, what is the negative correlation with dental amalgam?
- Mercury Safe Practice Ottawa - Benefits of seeking treatment from a mercury safe practice in Ottawa