Patients considering the removal of silver amalgam fillings will want to ensure that their dentist follows mercury safe practices. Dr. France Chevalier of Ottawa offers patients mercury free dentistry, and can provide the removal of silver amalgam fillings in accordance to the standards and protocols set forth by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology, also known as the IAOMT.
The IAOMT has set forth standards that should be used by dentists providing silver amalgam removal to ensure the vapors from mercury are not released into the air and become hazardous for patients, dentists, and staff in the room during treatment. These standards were developed to provide dentists with a checklist of mercury safe practices to follow for the health and safety of everyone involved. Here are just a few of the protocols that Dr. France Chevalier follows in her practice:
- Removing fillings by breaking into chunks and keeping the materials cool during removal.
- Use of a high volume evacuator (suction system).
- Fully covering the patient before treatment begins.
- Providing patients with an alternative source of air during the procedure.
- Use of a rubber dam to isolate the tooth (or teeth) being treated to reduce the release of mercury particles in the mouth.
- Cleaning up the patient after changing gloves, cleaning the mouth, face, and neck.
- Providing air filtering system in the treatment room, along with purifying the air.
Dr. France Chevalier utilizes all of these steps to ensure safe yet effective removal of silver amalgam fillings, and can ensure patients that their health and safety is of utmost importance to her and her staff.
Are you a patient in the Ottawa area who has considered having your silver amalgam fillings removed but are unsure of where to go for safe treatment? If so, contact Dr. France Chevalier today to learn about mercury safe protocols set forth by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology and how they can protect you from the mercury vapors released during removal. Being aware that your dentist provides this biocompatible treatment can put you at ease knowing your health and wellbeing is protected at all times in our state-of-the-art facility.
Back to Mercury Free Dentistry Home Page