Dr. France Chevalier cares about your overall health and wellbeing. Our Ottawa dentist utilizes progressive technology to ensure thorough diagnoses and treatments. By utilizing VELscope, she can detect abnormalities that are difficult to see with the unassisted eye. This helps in identifying signs of oral cancer. Many patients have general questions about oral cancer. We are happy to answer them.
Understanding the signs of oral cancer
If not diagnosed and treated early, oral cancer can be life threatening. Dr. Chevalier encourages patients to have oral cancer screenings, as a part of their preventative programs. Oral cancer includes cancer of the tongue, lips, cheeks, mouth, and throat.
There are multiple symptoms of oral cancer including:
- Sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and do not heal within two weeks
- Lumps or bumps, swellings, or rough spots on the lips, gums, or other areas inside the mouth
- Velvety white, red, or speckled (white and red) patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unexplained facial, mouth, or neck numbness
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing, moving the jaw or tongue, or speaking
- Dentures that no longer fit together properly
- Chronic sore throat, change in voice, or hoarseness
- Ear pain
Risk factors of and preventative measures for oral cancer
There are multiple risk factors for oral cancer including smoking, chewing tobacco, alcohol use, sun exposure, and a family history of cancer. Fortunately, there are ways to help prevent oral cancer. We recommend avoiding smoking or using tobacco products, maintaining a balanced diet, and limiting your sun exposure.
What to expect during an oral cancer screening
During an examination, Dr. Chevalier will utilize VELscope to check for irregular tissue in your mouth. She will also check for sores in your mouth. If there are signs of oral cancer, she may request a biopsy.
If you have noticed any warning signs of oral cancer, do not delay scheduling a visit to our office. Dr. Chevalier and our team will provide the utmost comfort for your appointment. Call our friendly, caring, and understanding team at +1 (613) 233-1118 today.
Back to Preventive Dentistry Home Page